[bind10-dev] Testing interface detection

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Dec 4 23:53:54 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 6:14 AM, Tomek Mrugalski wrote:
 > Alternative approach is to try to use something that is common on all
> OSes. But no such thing exists as far as I know. I used to think that
> loopback interface is such a thing, but it is called lo in Linux and lo0
> in BSD systems. There are even some messy systems that don't have
> loopback at all (Windows, I'm looking at you). And there may be side
> effects if test just brings loopback down.

Sorry for not responding earlier, it's been a busy week and next week
will be busier.

Windows can detect its interfaces. It's just a function call,
GetIfTable() I believe. I assume you are talking about the period before
it binds IP addresses to the interfaces. It can also detect those IP
addresses (see the windows code in BIND9). It can also detect changes to
addresses and report them when they happen. I haven't checked but it
should have no trouble detecting when an interfaces goes up or down.
Most useful when dealing with the wireless interface.

Danny