[bind10-dev] Option definition in BIND 10 DHCP

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Dec 29 14:25:08 UTC 2011

On 23.12.2011 15:33, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 20/12/2011 17:39, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> The documents can be found at:
>>
>> http://bind10.isc.org/wiki/DhcpOptionDefinitionRequirements
>> http://bind10.isc.org/wiki/DhcpOptionDefinition
>
> The Option Definition document has now been updated to include IPv6
> options.  Feedback is requested.
Reviewed and updated both documents. In particular following changes
were made:

- Added empty option. There are some options in DHCPv6 that convey
information by its mere presence or absence (length of option is 0).
- Added fqdn option. DHCPv6 conveys domain name options using label
encoding. It is possible (and used in several options) to define array
of such names.
- Added support for sub-option definitions. That is actually an
important aspect. Document describes a way to define custom options, but
does not define a way to send them as sub-options. There are *some*
options in DHCPv4 that have suboptions. There are *many* options in
DHCPv6 with sub-options. That is not fully designed solution yet, just
put essential pieces in the text to mention that this need to be worked
out eventually.
- Added a question about handling length of type/length fields in
vendor/user spaces. To be more flexible, we should use ISC DHCP
approach: allow definition of length=1 or 2 approach. Examples are given
in the text.
- Added several open questions.
- Added minor clarifications.

In general, this document is in a good shape. Although there are still
some loose ends, it is ready for initial publication.

Tomek