[bind10-dev] hooks in recursive server processing

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at nic.cz
Thu Jan 20 08:53:06 UTC 2011

Hello

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:48:03AM +0800, Likun Zhang wrote:
> > As you look at the design of the cache fill section, it would be nice if
> > the design has the ability to a) route the cache fill request to a
> > different module and b) have that module be able to call back into the
> > upstream processing side of the cache fill. I am not saying anything
> > about figuring out how to manage the capability or how the messages will
> > be handled, I just want to say that this would be a nice thing that
> > others could use.
>
> I would like to think the 'hooks' idea has some relationship with our
> currently b10-stats module, maybe we want to statistical result for cache
> miss/hit.

Well, the statistics could need only part of the hook abilities. What I would
like to see, some time in future, is ability to plug a filter/however it is
called into quite any reasonable place in the processing, be able to inspect the
data going trough that place (that's what stats would do, if it was written as
that kind of hook), change it, cancel it, call anything, and not only from C++,
but being able to plug in python function as well, maybe have bindings for other
languages as well.

We probably should talk about it some time, because even if we don't write the
system soon, we will have to think about it and at last remember that it should
be there.

Have a nice day

--
XML is like violence. If it doesn't solve your problem, use more.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner