[bind10-dev] Resolver skeleton, location of logic, and plans/discussionstarter for that

Scott Mann smann at isc.org
Thu Jan 20 22:55:47 UTC 2011

OK. So, I've also begun working in and around this code and I certainly
agree that there's a lot of stuff scattered about. Clearly, debugging
would be a big issue.

It seems that we ought to take a step back and lay out a
design<->implementation relationship that says what will be where. For
instance, I thought that asiolink was a utility library which would
provide some sort of communication object - a udp/tcp handle or whatever
- something generic and abstract. I also expected the actual
query/answer objects would be elsewhere (perhaps in resolver). In short,
I agree that RunningQuery should not be in asiolink. I'm less clear on
whether it is a somewhat redundant object or that its function should be
handled in some other object, although I highly favor simplicity.

Anyway, I do think a discussion is in order.

However, I'm not sure that this it is necessary to do a pre-April
discussion of this topic. Which then implies that I think that the code
should be reviewed/merged and refactored later. Sometimes having a
poorly implemented prototype that works is a good thing.

Just my $.02.

-Scott