[bind10-dev] a different idea on the cache for DB backed zones

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at nic.cz
Sat Jan 22 09:19:38 UTC 2011

Hello

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:33:55PM -0800, Jerry Scharf wrote:
> There are a few benefits I see for this. I expect the recursive server
> to be a whole bunch faster than current hotspot numbers. I expect the
> recursive server to get a good amount of work on scaling across multiple
> cores. The cache eviction method for hotspot wasn't very smart, I expect
> the recursive server to be better with better invalidation control. This
> also gives a path for a combined auth/recursive server.

Why the whole recursive server, with all the heavy chasing, server selection,
checking of DNSSEC signatures, ACLs, …?

Why not just the cache from the recursive server? If we make the effort and make
that one fast, we could replace the (possibly unoptimized) hot-spot cache.

It may be also possible the slowdown is somewhere in the processing, not in the
cache itself. Then I don't see how anything from the recursive server could help
us.

Have a nice day

--
If it works, fix it.