[bind10-dev] Profiling & performance sugestions

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Mon Jan 24 19:12:43 UTC 2011

At Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:30:07 +0100,
Shane Kerr <shane at isc.org> wrote:

> I hope we have some time on Wednesday's call to discuss this issue. If
> not, perhaps it would make sense to set up a separate meeting for this
> topic (either in voice or chat, I'm fine with anything)?

I love performance improvement work, and discussing ideas of
optimization is a good thing, but I'd rather avoid *doing* premature
optimization.  The in-memory based authoritative server is still
feature incomplete, and completing the feature may reveal more severe
bottlenecks or may make prematurely introduced optimizations marginal.

Even though it's currently even much slower than BIND 9, more than
10Kqps on a reasonable speed machine for various types of data set
should be more than enough for people interested in playing with it.
Those who can't accept this level won't use it anyway even if it's
super fast, due to other missing features or the maturity status.

So, the question is specifically how much we need to achieve to meet
the year 2 contract promise.  "BIND 9 equivalent" is quite vague, and
I'd like to know more concrete numbers.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya