[bind10-dev] log message comments and questions
Jeremy C. Reed
jreed at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 17:52:46 UTC 2011
I looked through all of the log messages. (The HTML document generated
in #1012 was 51 pages long.) The following are my comments or questions.
I didn't read through much source code to answer yet (and admins should
not be expected to read source to clarify log descriptions). I did fix
some minor typos, grammar, and case problems and pushed to master
I don't expect one person to respond to all these points :)
(I also posted comments directly related to #1012 in Trac.)
- %1(%2) or other format strings may be unclear in admin
- missing debug number ("A debug message" or "only appear if debug
is enabled" is too vague -- when will it be logged at what debug
- identifiers like RECVTMO and UNKORIGIN are unreadable (spell
out). I see this will be discussed in tomorrow's agenda?
- CCSESSION_MSG -- too many possible errors for one log ID?
- CONFIG_CCSESSION_MSG_INTERNAL -- what module "will continue to
run"? and reword "An unexpected exception was thrown." so is
useful to admin reading this.
- DATASRC_CACHE_CREATE "creating" (upcoming) or "created" (already
and what debug level for DATASRC_CACHE_CREATE?
- DATASRC_CACHE_DESTROY being destroyed -- does that mean it is a
- DATASRC_ some say "cache" and others "hotspot cache" -- are they
- reword DATASRC_CACHE_OLD_FOUND, older instance of cache item
found, replacing to "replacing existing cache item"
and is it useful if doesn't indicate the name or its value?
- DATASRC_MEM_ADD_WILDCARD: reword "Some special marks above each
* in wildcard name are needed."
- DATASRC_MEM_CNAME_TO_NONEMPTY -- what about DNSSEC records?
- should mes file entries with sorted? (I think they should be in
- DATASRC_META_ADD description is not completed.
- what is a "meta data source"?
- DATASRC_QUERY_EMPTY_CNAME description is not completed.
- DATASRC_QUERY_IS_* "a query" (add "a")?
- DATASRC_QUERY_PROVENX_FAIL and others What does "PROVENX" mean?
(spell out "NONEXISTENCE"?)
- reword DATASRC_QUERY_SYNTH_CNAME description
- DATASRC_SQLITE_PREVIOUS_NO_ZONE what is purpose to identify
preceding name if not in same zone?
- generic DATASRC_STATIC_BAD_CLASS ID but description is for a
- All "This indicates a programming error." type messages should
"Please open a bug ticket for this issue."
- LOGIMPL_ABOVEDBGMAX and BELOWDBGMIN have typo "DEBGUGn" -- what
is this string? Where documented? Is this used by admins too? If
developer only, should message for "BADDEBUG" say to open a bug
- MSG_BADSEVERITY allow "NONE" also?
- MSG_BADSTREAM incomplete description.
- MSG_DUPLNS Where is $NAMESPACE directive documented?
- MSG_DUPMSGID, MSG_IDNOTFND, MSG_NOMSGID, MSG_INVMSGID,
(maybe MSG_NSINVARG and MSG_NSNOARG and MSG_NSEXTRARG too?)
(maybe MSG_PRFEXTRARG and MSG_PRFINVARG too?)
maybe there should be a developer option to kill BIND 10
startup if this happens.
- MSG_INVMSGID incomplete description
- MSG_IDNOTFND multiple paragraph description okay?
- should the developer MSG_ problems say to open a bug ticket
- be consistent with British versus American spelling (e.g
recognize vs. recognise, cancelled vs. canceled, etc.).
- "internal" error should say to open a bug ticket report?
- NSAS_SETRTT what does "damps out" mean?
- some string formating have brackets... use %1 or <%1> ? or is
that for a "tuple" only?
- I think there should be separate "DEBUG" severity for
developers too.... now we have debug message useful for admins
to debug and then other debug message clearly only useful for
admins (even referring to specific code "the
(10:05:06) stephen: This can be done. Assign low debug
levels (say < 20) to debug messages targeted to admins,
and use higher numbers for more detailed developer-level
debug messages. If developers need the detailed debug
messages, they probably need the admin-level debug messages
(10:07:06) jreed: okay. We will document that and follow it.
(10:08:43) stephen: It may need some tinkering in the source
code. The debug level of the message is set at the point
the message is logged, so the values in some LOG_DEBUG
statements may need changing.
- RESLIB_TESTSERV says conflicting debugging and not debug
and " As it should never be seen in
normal operation, it is a warning message instead of a debug
message." is too verbose, not needed here
- RESLIB_TIMEOUT error will be reported where?
- RESOLVER_AXFRTCP says "AXFR request" and "received a NOTIFY" and
RESOLVER_AXFRUDP says "AXFR request" and "received a NOTIFY"
-- well which is it? (a NOTIFY is a hint to do an SOA serial
- RESOLVER_CLTMOSMALL does BIND 10 fail to start? then what is
used? default? minimum?
- RESOLVER_CLTMOSMALL is there a corresponding too large?
- Can RESOLVER_CONFIGERR be seperated into programmer error and
user error with different log ID? Should it say to file a bug
- style: some have incomplete / poor grammar for saying it is a
debug message while some have complete separate sentence for
- RESOLVER_DNSMSGSENT what details?
- RESOLVER_FAILED does this means that b10-resolver process will
- RESOLVER_FWDADDR why could it appear multiple times?
- RESOLVER_FWDQUERY what checks?
- RESOLVER_LKTMOSMALL does BIND 10 fail to start? Or what does it
use? The default? minimum?
- RESOLVER_LKTMOSMALL is there a too large too?
- RESOLVER_NFYNOTAUTH how to correspond this to the sender of the
message? (log that too?)
- RESOLVER_NORMQUERY what checks?
- RESOLVER_NOROOTADDR add more details? Should this really be a
warning? (isn't it just informational and normal?)
- RESOLVER_NOTIN why can't handle other classes in a query? (And
description should say this is a query?)
- RESOLVER_NOTONEQUES typo: "entires"? (entries?)
(while I don't recall seeing it, where is it documented one
question is limit? even RFC 1035 hints multiple questions could be
- RESOLVER_QUTMOSMALL should it show the minimum? does BIND 10
fail to start? Or does it use default? or minimum?
- RESOLVER_QUTMOSMALL is there a corresponding too large error?
(but maybe the existing ID should be for both: out of range.)
- RESOLVER_RECVMSG description say "DNS"?
- RESOLVER_ROOTADDR why multiple times?
- RESOLVER_SETPARAM "interval to resolver" and "continuing to
should be "resolve"? Too many colons? "resolve gives up" should
Maybe this description is way too long -- two paragraphs is too
- RESOLVER_SHUTDOWN, RESOLVER_STARTED are too noisy for default
should be debug mode only?
- RESOLVER_STARTING description should mention command line
- RESOLVER_UNEXRESP not enough information? so response doesn't
match up with an exisiting outbound query (wrong port, address,
Jeremy C. Reed
More information about the bind10-dev