[bind10-dev] failing time related unittests

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Thu May 12 12:38:28 UTC 2011

Jeremy,

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 09:59 -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> But we have related failures on non-virtual machines too. (My logs show
> 240 total failures.)

Yes, this is a problem.

> It was suggested I make a trac ticket for every known test failure so we
> can carefully evaluate.

I think it's the only way. I'd like to add this to the next sprint if
possible, so we can sort this out.

> If a timing test fails, then is it really testing something that may
> cause a failure on a production system?

If a test fails, it means the code is not acting as it should (or that
the test is bogus). While it may not cause a failure, we have no way to
be sure one way or the other.

> Another suggestion was to propose minimal hardware we support. I don't
> agree with that based on our existing systems' failures -- because all
> these tests systems are plenty powerful enough to serve probably 99% of
> normal DNS server needs.

Yup.

--
Shane