[bind10-dev] reminder: meta data source vs data source container (summary)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Tue May 22 07:22:17 UTC 2012

At Mon, 21 May 2012 20:07:38 +0200,
Michal 'vorner' Vaner <michal.vaner at nic.cz> wrote:

> > I suggest we conclude this discussion in the biweekly call tomorrow.
> > Assuming participants will understand the basic design tradeoffs,
> > we'll basically just have a quick voting to see if there's a majority,
> > and, if not, will just pick up either one by tossing a coin.
>
> I took #1974 (defining configuration of the meta/container) today. I have
> several proposals for the configuration approach and I'm not sure which is
> better, so I'm writing them down to discuss. The problem is, one of the approach
> would be very hard or almost impossible with the container approach. And I'm
> afraid I wont finish writing the page down this evening. I'll finish it before
> the call, but I fear you won't have time to read it before and it might be an
> input to the meta vs. container discussion.
>
> Should we care about it? Or just discard the one proposal if we decide to go
> with the container?

I'm not sure without knowing the details, but I guess with either
approach we'll eventually see some difficulty that would be easier by
the other approach.  And, if we want to make the decision with much
more information, that's generally better, but we cannot hold off
seeking for the ideal solution forever.  So, basically, I'd suggest
making the decision with what we know today, moving forward, and
accepting the consequence.

That said, I guess we could still have some discussion period,
especially while we are focusing on DDNS.  So, if that point is deemed
to be so substantial, maybe we can postpone the decision call until a
bit later, e.g., one week, and making the decision based on email or
even 2-minute extension of a daily call.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.