[bind10-dev] configure select components for building/installing

Stephen Morris stephen at isc.org
Tue Oct 9 09:22:12 UTC 2012

On 13/09/12 14:39, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> We discussed a few times about allowing custom builds of the source
> tree so we don't build and install everything.  For example, an
> admin could choose to install a small selection of features or
> everything.

This discussion has gone on for some time, but with the release of
BIND 10 Alpha, I think it has reached the point at which we need to
make a decision.  To put this into context:

Development is proceeding on the DHCP part of BIND 10 and two
immediate issues are:

a) If you only want to build DHCP, you need to install products (such
as botan) that are not used.

b) The first version of BIND 10 DHCP will use MySQL for the lease
database (it will be extended to SQLite3 later).  This means that
building DHCP requires the installation of a product not used by BIND
10 DNS.

In addition, with BIND 10 now at the alpha release stage, I think we
need more formal control over the build and installation process: in
particular, I'd rather that no (possibly experimental and certainly
pre-alpha) DHCP code is installed by default on systems that aim to
run BIND 10 in a production DNS environment.

Could we aim to discuss this in the BIND 10 teleconference next week
(not the sprint planning meeting today), reach a conclusion and create
some tickets to do the work?

Stephen