DHCP server is not able to set SO_BINDTODEVICE if not running under root

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Tue Oct 8 16:57:40 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Tomas,

Many thanks for your efforts and submitting the ticket. I responded in the ticket: http://bind10.isc.org/ticket/3176.

Unfortunately, we are unlikely to implement the use of b10-sockcreator in DHCP components in the short term. What we definitely have to think about is an update to the bind10-guide to mention that -u option should not be used, when DHCP modules are started and explain why. In the long term, the proper solution will be implemented as a part of the ticket that I mentioned: http://bind10.isc.org/ticket/2780. Please note that this is not trivial change because it requires changes in DHCP, in b10-sockcreator and possibly other components such as b10-init to support raw sockets creation and setting appropriate options.

For now, the working workaround is to run as root.

Regards,
Marcin