DDNS Questions

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 08:14:09 UTC 2006

John Simon wrote:

>1. Right now I just picked "example.com" as my internal domain to use in the
>conf files and for the zone files. So all my internal machines are
><hostname>.example.com. Is it possible to set up DDNS updates WITHOUT using
>a domain name (for someone in my situation who doesn't really have a real
>domain name to map my machines on to.

It's a problem. Many people pick <somename>.local which is pretty
well guaranteed not to clash with someone, but it does cause some
issues with multicast dns (aka Rendevous, Autoconf, Zeroconf etc)
which also use .local.

Other just pick a domain name - at my last job we had a subsiduary
that did this and ignored my 'hints' that they should either register
the domain name or stop using it.

>2. All the internal machines work perfectly with DDNS. However, I haven't
>been able to figure out how to also get my router to add its hostname to the
>DNS -- since I would like to be able to use its hostname (instead of
>192.168.1.1, etc.) when I am ssh-ing into it from an internal machine.

Add the records manually.

No you are doing ddns, either use nsupdate, or stop bind before
editing the zone files (and delete the jnl files). DO NOT try to edit
the zone files while bind is running.

Simon