How to configure static Ips w/ no leases given except explicit.

John Tabasz (jtabasz) jtabasz at cisco.com
Fri Apr 7 16:46:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want to statically assign each of the IP addresses that my server
gives out. Additionally I want to deny an address to a device that is
not explicitly configured in my dhcpd.conf file. I am not asking to use
dhcp as a filter so much as to only grant leases to devices whose MAC
address I know and can make the config file edits for ahead of time.

I tried removing the subnet declaration but that caused a hiccup. Any
advise?

As an example;

I have a subnet declaration for a class C subnet. I have listings for a
dozen hosts that include

Hardware address   xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Fixed-address	 10.1.1.X
Option hostname	 host.domain.com

This host gets it's IP address just fine. However, if someone comes
along with a PC set up as a DHCP client, my server will calmly go ahead
and give out a random unused IP in the subnet.

I want the PC user to request access from me before hand, so I can go in
and edit the config file and restart the server etc.

Thanks,

John Tabasz