How to configure static Ips w/ no leases given except explicit.

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Fri Apr 7 17:39:59 UTC 2006

> I tried removing the subnet declaration but that caused a hiccup. Any
> advise?

    You do not provide your current configuration but I suspect it is
broken. The answer is to keep the subnet declaration but get rid of any
"range" statements. The DHCP server will only give out dynamic addresses
from a valid range. No range means only fixed addresses to known hosts.

> This host gets it's IP address just fine. However, if someone comes
> along with a PC set up as a DHCP client, my server will calmly go ahead
> and give out a random unused IP in the subnet.

    If this is true, you probably have a range that covers all valid IP
addresses on the subnet. A range should not overlap fixed addresses. If
it does, the fixed address could already be assigned to another host and
your registered system will be unable to boot. That is what I meant by
broken above.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|