Switch from pure DHCP to Static/DHCP

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 23:38:26 UTC 2006

Erick Perez wrote:

>I have a 230 person office that is using DHCP. I want to move them to
>fixed ip address but it will take me way too much time to do it alone.
>I was thinking to use the MAC addresses and make the clients always
>get the same IP.

>Is there any script or tool that i can use to construct dhcpd.conf in
>an easy way without needing to input manually all the MAC addresses?

Well they have to get there somehow ! Perhaps a script to parse your
existing leases file and extract the ip/mac/name triplets from there ?

Is there any particular reason for requiring fixed addresses ? I can
tell you from experience it makes things a whole lot harder to manage.

Niall O'Reilly wrote:

>  > My boss also wants the IP categotized. 192.168.100.20-30 for some
>>  group 31-40 for another, etc.
>
>This rings alarm bells for me.
>
>You (or your boss) may live to regret using multiples of 10 as boundary
>points.  If the address-ranges are to be used in firewall
>configurations,
>subnet assignments, or the like, power-of-two boundaries will be MUCH
>easier to deal with, because the correspond to address prefixes.
>
>Try 16-31, 32-47, etc.  It may be opportune to avoid the low and high
>addresses in each assignment: 17-30, 33-46 ...

Oh the joys of implementing things dreamed up by those with no clue.
I've been in exactly the same position myself, being asked to
implement a decimal based subdivision - but what amazed me was that
in my case it came from people that really had no excuse.

Simon