drop_privileges: user dhcpd does not exist

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Apr 14 17:05:23 UTC 2006

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed the v3.0.2 on Debian with the
> dhcp3-server_3.0.2-1ubuntu7_i386.deb package and now DHCPD doesn't start
> I got the "drop_privileges: user dhcpd does not exist" message but the
> dhcpd user with the dhcpd group exist on my system !?
>
> I make dhcpd3 owned by dhcpd user and group but I have the same problem.
>
> Help is needed !

Installer scripts and rights is a distro problem, so you will get better help
posting to a debian or ubuntu list.  If you are working with ubuntu-dapper, then
you won't get much help without a better bug report.  (file the report first,
then ask for help with it - that seems to work better.)

If you are downloading the vanilla source, compiling and installing, then this
is the place.

Carl K