DHCP server: how can I guarantee the reserved ip even it's also inside the range

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Apr 19 17:22:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:58:31PM +1000, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> You *must* change your range to exclude the reserved IP address.

Language nit: I'd like to call fixed-address statements on host
structures 'static leases' (which don't have lease structures, so
don't go through free/active/expired/free state changes), whereas a
dynamic lease that gets marked for use by only one client is
'reserved' (and does have a lease structure, and state changes).

This will cause less confusion when 3.1.0 comes out with support for
both 'reserved dynamic leases' and 'static leases'.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."