dhcp failover in 3.0.1/RHEL vs 3.0.4

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Aug 1 14:46:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:13:51AM -0400, Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      Lets try this again.  This is the only email list that deletes my entire
> message if my signature is included.
>
>      Redhat is YEARS behind in software updates.  For important/critical
> software, I download the lastest working source, compile, and install it.  I'm
> not going to wait around for Redhat to finally decide to make available
> important bug fixes or critical security updates years after everyone else has
> them.

I don't think it is fair to characterize Red Hat's software updates in
that way, and it certainly isn't approriate to bash any particular
vendor here.

If you want the latest and greatest software, use Fedora Core.  If you
want a stable, long-lifetime supported OS, use RHEL.  Of course, the
latter means by definition that new features will not be added to a
specific release of RHEL.

If you want to compile your own OS components, Gentoo may be a good
option.