Upgrade failover pair from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4

George C. Kaplan gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 3 22:35:28 UTC 2006

I'm getting ready to upgrade our DHCP servers (which run failover) from
3.0.3 to 3.0.4.  In the past, we've done upgrades one at a time to
minimize service distruptions.  But I don't think that's possible in
this case, since 3.0.4 adds the 'atsfp' parameter to the leases file.

I think the best way to do this upgrade would be something like this:

1:  Shut down both DHCP daemons

2:  Install dhcpd version 3.0.4 on the primary.  (I'll have a binary
package, so this'll be quick).

3:  Add 'atsfp' to the leases file, as per the RELNOTES.

4:  Start the upgraded primary in PARTNER-DOWN mode.

5:  Install the 3.0.4 software on the secondary.

6:  Add 'atsfp' to the secondary leases file.

7:  start the upgraded secondary.

A slightly simpler (and maybe better, in terms of making sure the lease
databases get synchronized properly) variation:

6:  Delete the secondary leases file.

Does this seem reasonable?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

George C. Kaplan                            gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
IST - Infrastructure Services               510-643-0496
University of California at Berkeley