why primary and secondary allocate same IP?

VKR V rvkr2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 08:39:45 UTC 2006

I apolgise for not posting secondary failover configuration. But failover name is same.

  failover peer "secondary" {
  secondary;
  address 172.162.1.3;
  port 519;
  peer address 172.162.1.2;
  peer port 519;
  max-response-delay 60;
  max-unacked-updates 10;
  mclt 500;
  load balance max seconds 3;
  }

Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:
  On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:54:46PM -0700, VKR V wrote:
> In my network I have primary and secondary DHCP server. Both the
> servers are in sync with NTP. I am observing some peculiar problem
> in my DHCP server i.e. when client makes request for IP address both
> the servers are allocating same IP to him :-(. This is intermittent
> problem. The failover configuration on primary is -
>
> failover peer "secondary" {
> primary;
> address 172.162.1.2;
> port 519;
> peer address 172.162.1.3;
> peer port 519;
> max-response-delay 60;
> max-unacked-updates 10;
> mclt 500;
> split 128;
> load balance max seconds 3;
> }
>
> I avoid seondary configuration, which is simple, for brevity. Below
> are logs and lease info.

Please don't avoid posting the secondary config. I can guess from
above that your secondary config might say:

failover peer "primary" {

If that is the case, that won't work. The failover peer name is a
name describing the grouping of two failover entities, so it must be
the same name on both servers. Try changing both servers to use e.g.:

failover peer "failover1" {