why primary and secondary allocate same IP?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Aug 11 16:46:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:54:46PM -0700, VKR V wrote:
> Has anyone discover this? Why both the servers are allocating the same IP, when hash result by both the servers is different?

1) What jw354 said.

2) Are you sure the servers are hashing differently?  Can you find out
   what the 'secs' field indicates (I suspect it's greater than 3)?

Anecdote) ISC DHCP 3.0.x identifies failover relationships by the peer's
	  IP address (!), which means you can't have more than one
	  failover relationsihp between two individual IP addresses.
	  ISC DHCP 3.1.0 (correctly) identifies failover relationships
	  by the relationsihp name.