Testing the config file

John Tabasz (jtabasz) jtabasz at cisco.com
Thu Aug 17 00:51:58 UTC 2006

ISC DHCPD 3.0.2
Solaris 2.8 OS on the server boxes.
Solaris built-in client on the client boxes.

Hi, I have a situation where I will be rewriting and reinstalling the
dhcpd.conf file as new hosts are added to the subnet. This will be on a
more or less real time basis. All leases are static.
I am automating this process, and want to use the dhcpd -t option to
test the config file before installing it on the server.

Is there are way to specify a different file to test before installing
it? Or do I have to do a move the existing config file to another
filename, mv the new file to the dhcpd.conf filename, then test, then if
test passed, toggle the dhcpd process, and if the test failed, reverse
the previous steps to get the previously existing config file back in
place?

I suppose this could be done with links, but still would be easier to
just specify the filename to test on the command line.
What gives?

Thanks,

John