dhcp-3.0.4 with mac 10.3.9 Startup issue

James Lee james.lee at intouchplc.com
Thu Aug 17 14:47:07 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have install dhcp-3.0.4 on my mac OS 10.3.9 server.

It has been running ok and I can start the DHCP services by typing 'sudo
dhcpd'

However, I can NOT configure it to startup on boot up.

I have done the following below:

1. Add DHCP=-YES- to /etc/hostconfig entry

2. Make StartupItem folders:

 % mkdir /Library/StartupItems
 % mkdir /Library/StartupItems/DHCP
 % mkdir /Library/StartupItems/DHCP/Resources
 % mkdir /Library/StartupItems/DHCP/Resources/English.lproj

3. Make /Library/StartupItems/DHCP/DHCP. On my network, DHCP is being
served by en0; modify "/usr/sbin/dhcpd en0" to taste:

#!/bin/sh

##
# DHCP
##

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()
{
    if [ "${DHCP:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
        if ! pid=$(GetPID dhcpd); then
            ConsoleMessage "Starting DHCP services"
            /usr/sbin/dhcpd en0
        fi
    fi
}

StopService ()
{
    if pid=$(GetPID dhcpd); then
        ConsoleMessage "Stopping DHCP services"
        kill -TERM "${pid}"
    else
        echo "dhcpd is not running."
    fi
}

RestartService ()
{
    if pid=$(GetPID sendmail); then
        ConsoleMessage "Restarting DHCP services"
        kill -HUP "${pid}"
    else
        StartService
    fi
}

RunService "$1"

4. Make /Library/StartupItems/DHCP/StartupParameters.plist:

{
  Description     = "DHCP server";
  Provides        = ("DHCP");
  Requires        = ("Network");
  Uses            = ("Disks", "Network Time");
  OrderPreference = "None";

NOTE: THE ABOVE MALFORMATION ERROR SO I CHANGED IT TO;
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
      <key>Description</key>
      <string>DHCP server</string>
      <key>Messages</key>
      <dict>
            <key>start</key>
            <string>Starting DHCP server</string>
            <key>stop</key>
            <string>Stopping DHCP server</string>
      </dict>
      <key>OrderPreference</key>
      <string>None</string>
      <key>Provides</key>
      <array>
            <string>DHCP</string>
      </array>
      <key>Requires</key>
      <array>
            <string>Network</string>
      </array>
      <key>Uses</key>
      <array>
            <string>Disks</string>
            <string>Network Time</string>
      </array>
</dict>
</plist>

5. Make /Library -> StartupItems -> DHCP -> Resources -> English.lproj ->
Localizable.strings:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/
  Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
        <key>Starting DHCP services</key>
        <string>Starting DHCP services</string>
        <key>Stopping DHCP services</key>
        <string>Stopping DHCP services</string>
        <key>Restarting DHCP services</key>
        <string>Restarting DHCP services</string>
</dict>
</plist>

6 Set ownership and permissions:

 % chown -R root.wheel /Library/StartupItems/DHCP
 % chmod -R 755 /Library/StartupItems/DHCP
 % chmod 644 /Library/StartupItems/DHCP/StartupParameters.plist

7. Finally, start the DHCP services:

 % sudo SystemStarter start DHCP

However, when I run
% sudo SystemStarter start DHCP
It ERRORS with:
Welcome to Macintosh.
Initializing network
Exec failed for item /Library/StartupItems/DHCP: Exec format error
DHCP server (6970) did not complete successfully.
The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
        /Library/StartupItems/DHCP - execution of Startup script failed
Startup complete.
Hangup

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks

James

http://www.theintouchgroup.com