status update

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 07:52:00 UTC 2006

SCOTT BURGIN wrote:

>In the short term, we have thrown more addresses at the problem -
>creating a second subnet on the same VLAN (Cisco environment - using the
>"secondary" keyword").
>However, we're having an issue where the machines in the new/secondary
>subnet can't complete their PXE process.  The vendor is telling us that
>they boot a couple of different times in the PXE process before the OS
>is laid down - and that during this dual boot process - they're getting
>different IP addresses from the ISC daemon - even though they're sending
>the same GUID each time (they acknowledge that the GUID is changing
>after Windows is laid down).   From what I've read - this is not
>expected behavior.  Can anyone validate please ?

Correct, if the ClientID is the same and not empty, or the ClientID
is empty AND the MAC address is the same, then the client should get
the same address.

I find it very worthwhile to sniff the network packets so you can see
exactly what options are being requested/passed etc in the data
packets - just in case there is a 'difference of opinion' either in
the creation or interpretation. For instance, is the ClientID
actually identical (eg could it be NULL in one request but an empty
string in another ?)