dhcpd stops logging

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 18 16:00:54 UTC 2006

Am 18.12.2006 um 16:02 schrieb Glenn Satchell:

>> OK, I did so and it didn't help. Only after I also restarted dhcpd,
>> the log messages were written again. Ideas? It's really annoying.
>
> Does it always happen at a certain time of day? If so are there any
> cron jobs that run at that time?

No, it seems completely random - at least I haven't found any pattern
(yet). Sometimes, it doesn't happen for days, and thena again, I have
to restart syslogd and dhcpd three times a day.

> Does syslog stop logging to other files at the same time?

I don't think so, but since I haven't got any other app that
generates messages as regularly as dhcpd, I can't really tell.
Wait... now I remember, when it happened last Friday, I tried "logger
-p local1.info test", to test if syslogd has stopped accepting any
messages, but it apparently hadn't, since that message appeared in
the dhcpd.log (I'll try that again as soon as possible). It seems
that somehow dhcpd and syslogd loose contact, but I don't know who is
dropping it in the first place...

> Are there any syslog patches for your system that aren't installed?

No.

I have noticed, though, that syslogd on Mac OS X seems to have
problems on other occasions. For example, I log all user logins and
logouts on clients to a central server by using a loginhook script on
the clients, and if I don't restart syslogd before using "logger -
p ..." in that script, the messages often aren't logged. But it's
inconsistent, so I have never found out when and why the logging
stopped (and I stopped inquiring since I've now got this workaround).

Tina