single or multiple range statement

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Jul 4 00:47:47 UTC 2006

>Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:44:00 +0100
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: single or multiple range statement
>
>VKR V wrote:
>
>>   In my network I have to define a network of 10.10.0.0
>>255.255.224.0. When I specify statement like -
>>
>>   pool {
>>      range 10.10.16.0   10.10.31.254
>>   }
>>
>>   ISC DHCP server throw error and doesn't allow me to configure that
>>range. However, when I specify multiple ranges like -
>>
>>   pool {
>>      range 10.10.16.0  10.10.16.255
>>      range 10.10.24.0  10.10.24.255
>>      range 10.10.28.0  10.10.28.255
>>      range 10.10.30.0  10.10.30.255
>>      range 10.10.31.0  10.10.31.254
>>   }
>>
>>   there is no problem. But if this is the only way to configure it
>>then it is weird. I am missing something?
>
>You first statement should be accepted, it is valid - what error do
>you get, trivial details like error messages can be useful you know !
>
>However, you would be better advised to use :
>
>      range 10.10.16.1  10.10.16.254
>      range 10.10.17.1  10.10.17.254
>and so on
>
>The reason is that there are some faulty IP stacks out in the real
>world which are written on the assumption that things are using class
>C networks - hence .0 would be the network, and .255 the broadcast
>address. SInce there are a small number of devices that can't cope
>with having a .0 or .255, it will save hassles to avoid them in case
>you ever get one of these devices on your network.
>
>Simon

I tried adding this to my dhcpd.conf and the dhcpd (version 3.0.4)
server accepts it without a problem. Perhaps you have a subtle typo in
there?

subnet 10.10.0.0 netmask 255.255.224.0 {
  option routers 10.10.0.1;
  pool {
    range 10.10.16.0 10.10.31.254;

Can you post the exact error message and the section from dhcpd.conf?

regards,
-glenn