Failover stability?

Ken Eddings eddingsk at apple.com
Wed Jul 5 20:05:18 UTC 2006

At 9:28 AM -0700 7/5/06, David W. Hankins wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 02:05:13PM -0400, Keith Lawson wrote:
>> I'm just wondering what the state is of master/slave peer failover. Is
>> failover stable enough to be used in a production environment now?
>>
>> I've been testing using 3.0.4 one one subnet  and I'm running into a
>> scenario where the master load balances a request to the slave. The
>> slave then ignores the request and logs a "peer holds all free leases"
>> message. I've been reading through the mailing list archives and
>> indications are that these problems are supposed to be resolved in 3.0.4
>> but that doesn't seem to be the case.
>
>Something's going wrong with your setup.  That log line tells me
>that your secondary thinks all the leases are in the 'free' state.

First thing I think of is the clocks are too far out of sync.  That's been the case every time I've heard the "peer holds all free leases" report.

>Are you sure your servers are operating in 'normal' failover state?

If there were an easier way to see this it would probably help on troubleshooting.

--
Ken Eddings, Hostmaster, IS&T,   eddingsk at apple.com,   eddingsk at mac.com
   Work:+1 408 974-4286, Cell: +1 408 425-3639, Fax: +1 408 974-3103