omshell and dhclient?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Sun Jul 9 14:35:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 10:10:19AM +0530, cisco wrote:
> I want to add following subnet defination in dhcpd.conf - Can we add using
> OMAPI ?

No, dynamic subnets are not yet supported.

> or any other utility . Final things - want to add/delete object (
> subnet declaration host declaration ) from dhcpd.conf.

Dynamic host records (that is, those that were added via OMAPI) can
be deleted.

>  Above task is manual task and  if we want to automated this manual task
> using some scripts. Please guide me .

If you need an automated way to reconfigure subnets, I suggest automating
your dhcpd.conf writing infrastructure (have a script that reads from a
database or config file and writes subnet {} declarations).  Upon making
a config change, restart the daemon.

If there are pieces of dhcpd.conf that need to be dynamic, and pieces that
need to be from automation, separate them using include statements:

	include "/dir/file.name";

Note that 'include' directives are always globally scoped (it 'restarts'
the parser from the top level, so it doesn't just 'insert' the file where
the include statement was placed as you might expect).

> Like Cisco CNR has <nrcmd> utility is
> import data from file for bulkcreation of subnets for dhcp server..Can do
> somethig like Cisco CNR ?

OMAPI is the closest approximation to nrcmd that we have in currently
released software.