Active lease that does not move to expired

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 19 16:57:52 UTC 2006

What does it mean when the leases file shows a lease as active,
but its "ends" time has passed?

In a 3.0.4 failover configuration, I am seeing a few leases marked as
"free" on the primary and as "active" on the secondary, but with an
"end" time that is passed.  Restarting the daemons does not clear
the circumstance.  All other leases show identical states between
the two leases files.  See example below of one of the peculiar
leases as shown on the secondary.

We just upgraded a failover configuration that we've been running
production for months, from dhcpd 3.0.2 to 3.0.4.  Our aim was to reduce
a "Lost Leases" problem: before the upgrade, we saw a slowly-
growing number of leases that were "expired" on the primary, but
"free" on the secondary.  The upgrade cleared out all the hundreds
of these, without needing to force PARTNER-DOWN or to zero any
lease file.  However, we soon saw a small number of leases
in the state I describe above, something we hadn't seen under
3.0.2.  About 6 out of 30,000 leases are sitting in this unusual state.

John Wobus
Cornell CIT

Example of an unexpired lease, such as we are now seeing in 3.0.4:

On the primary:
lease 128.84.152.133 {
   starts 3 2006/07/19 09:49:44;
   ends 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   tstp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   tsfp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   atsfp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   cltt 3 2006/07/19 09:49:44;
   binding state free;
   hardware ethernet 00:02:2d:53:32:1e;
   uid "\001\000\002-S2\036";
}

On the secondary:
lease 128.84.152.133 {
   starts 3 2006/07/19 09:49:44;
   ends 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   tstp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   tsfp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   atsfp 3 2006/07/19 10:48:44;
   cltt 3 2006/07/19 09:49:44;
   binding state active;
   next binding state expired;
   hardware ethernet 00:02:2d:53:32:1e;
   uid "\001\000\002-S2\036";
}

The time at which I looked at these files:
$ date -u
Wed Jul 19 16:37:03 GMT 2006