dhcpd.conf : dynamic ddns-domainname option

Clément Jeanne clement.jeanne at teamlog.com
Fri Jul 28 14:27:23 UTC 2006

Thanks,
I did not suspect the existence of dhcp-eval(5) because none of the man in my distro where pointing at it.
I read it, but didn't get what I need.

Here is what I want to do :

I get the fqdn from option 81 like machineA.subdomain4.domain6

I want to extract subdomain4.domain6 to put it in ddns-domainname (ddns-domainname=suffix (???))
and by the way machineA in ddns-hostname

I guess that the first "." is the key to achieve that but there is no function to do the job

May be there is an easiest way to proceed

Any ideas?

Regards

Clément,

Clément Jeanne wrote:
> Does anybody know where to find documentation about dhcpd.conf
> functionalities like "pick", "match", "pick-first-value", etc. ?
> I expect that such options is the key to solve my problem :
> extract from FQDN option 81 the domain name to use for ddns-domainname.
> I want the client not to be registered on the new domain it connects to,
> but on it's legacy domain. That is why I want to pick the domainname the
> client gives on the DHCP Discover packet, if not It's registered in the
> domain specified in "option domain-name"

"pick-first-value" is documented in the dhcp-eval(5) man page. "pick" is an
alias for "pick-first-value" (although I don't think that is documented anywhere).

"match" is documented in the dhcpd.conf(5) man page. There are examples in the
CLIENT CLASSING or SUBCLASSES sections.

I don't know if these will actually help you solve your problem, but hopefully so!

- --
Shane

--
Clément JEANNE