Multiple leases

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 22:07:17 UTC 2006

Eustace, Glen wrote:

>Has anyone found a way of forcing a singled NIC, i.e. a constant MAC
>Address, to be allocated the same lease regardless of any Client Id that
>may be in the DHCP request.
>
>Whilst opting for this behaviour may be considered broken by some and to
>violate the RFC, I cannot think of any other way to get our PC and MAC
>Labs (PXE and Netboot) to behave in a predicatable way that allows them
>to work as we would like.
>
>I don't really want to get into hacking code but .....

AFAIK, at the moment that is what you will need to do. There was talk
of a patch to do this, I don't know what it's status is.

Ways of doing it :

Simply delete the client-id from all incoming packets - crude.

Insert the MAC address into the client-id field if the client-id is
blank - makes things work the 'windows way' if the client ID is blank

I'm slightly surprised that you have this problem with the Macs
though. By default neither OS9 nor X send a client-id, and I'd be
surprised to see the Netboot client using one either. The usual
problem is Windows which puts the Mac address in the client-id whilst
nothing else does.

Simon