dhcpd lease problems?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jun 6 17:38:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:40:32AM -0700, Alan DeKok wrote:
>    Another 100 lines of code or so could add "host_ip_addr_hash", and
> some logic to make host IP's supersede dynamic leases.  I don't think
> there would be any negative effects from doing that, and it would make
> the admins lives a little bit easier.

That is a vast oversimplification.

'range' statements are allocated (eg 'malloc', but not) in one chunk.

That means:

	range 10.0.0.1 10.255.255.254;

Is one contiguous allocation of memory.

To piecemeal out leases within that range would require we somehow
keep meta-state..."do not free() this lease"...and would require we
check for host fixed-addresses upon "instantiating" (initializing)
each individual lease after the entire configuration (and dhcpd.leases,
which may include host statements as well) was loaded.

There's more...too much more...

It simply isn't workable.

Host statements and dynamic leases are two separate systems.  They
always will be.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dhcp-server&m=113328852713059&w=2

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."