How to not allocate any address to a specific host?

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Mon Mar 13 13:37:55 UTC 2006

Simon Hobson wrote:

[...]

> You don't have the right allow/deny statements.
>
> Firstly, there is nothing to deny obsolete-hosts from the 172.17
> subnet. So in here you want "deny members of "obsolete-hosts"".
>
> Secondly, you have mixed allow & deny in the 10.2 subnet. I believe
> this does NOT work as you might expect. Having "allow members of
> "obsolete-hosts"" is sufficient to deny anything NOT in that class.
>
> What is probably happening is that a client with a 172.17 address is
> added to the obsolete-hosts class, but because it isn't denied from
> having an address in that subnet, it can carry on leasing that
> address.
>
> So you probably want something like :
>
> shared-network example-net {
>
>       subnet 172.17.0.0 netmask 255.255.224.0 {
>           other stuff
>           pool {
>               deny members of "obsolete-hosts";
>               range               172.17.16.0 172.17.17.255;
>           }
>       }
>
>       subnet 10.2.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.252 {
>           default-lease-time  15;
>           max-lease-time      10;
>           pool {
>               allow members of "obsolete-hosts";
>               range 10.2.0.0 10.2.0.3;
>           }
>       }
> }

Just for the record, I tried this out, but my client continued to use
its previously acquired address. In any event, Glenn Satchell's
suggestion to use 'deny booting;' is as simple as it gets from a config
file perspective and does just what I need.

Thank-you for taking the time to respond,
David
--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."