Linux bind / dhcp iowait status

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 15 15:10:19 UTC 2006

I'd say that's on the high side. I run failover on a lowend Sun Netra
t1 with 256MB ram, 550MHz sparc cpu, 3000PCs and 4500 phones. Never
goes above a couple of percent cpu, and io wait is negligible.

How fast does your dhcpd.leases file grow? eg

ls -l dhcpd.leases; sleep 60; ls -l dhcpd.leases

and calculate the size difference from the listings.

2000pc with lease of four hours typically means they try to renew when
the lease is 50% expired, ie every 2 hours. That would be a new lease
(2000 hosts/1800 seconds) about once per second. Couple of hundred
bytes in a lease, so that shouldn't be a real problem.

I doubt it is named as it will cache a lot of stuff in memory, and dns
updates should only be occurring if the pc's lease actually expires
(probably every night).

I'd go for longer leases, say at least 1 day. I use 1 week for phones
because I always want them to work, even if the dhcp server is down.

Is there anything else running on the box, syslog, backups perhaps?

regards,
-glenn