XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

John Carr jbc4m at xmachina.itc.Virginia.EDU
Thu Mar 16 16:29:46 UTC 2006

We see this behavior quite often on our network.  Just yesterday we had
80 distinct MAC addresses ignore over 50 DHCPOFFERs each.  The top
"offer-deaf" client for the day ignored 1537 offers over a 2 and
one-half hour period.

I understand the initial failure when the windows client fails to ping
the gateway from the previous lease, but after it issues a DISCOVER, I
don't really know why it does not listen to the OFFERs.  The behavior is
clearly internal to the Microsoft DHCP client.  Yet it does not occur
every time you move a Microsoft client from one network to another.  I'd
love to see the state machine of the Microsoft client.  I suppose you
could gather enough data to figure out exactly what conditions trigger
this behavior and if anyone does, I'd like to know.  Until then we just
have the help desk tell people to go through a combination of
release/renew, reboot until they eventually get a valid address.

 John Carr                            Network Systems
 jcarr at virginia.edu                   ITC
 434-982-4710                         University of Virginia

 Hostmaster - DNS, DHCP & IP Address space management