ISC DHCP on a Solaris 10 Container

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Thu Mar 16 19:59:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Bruce Hudson wrote:

>    The problem, to the extent that this is a DHCP problem, seems to be
> in "common/discover.c"; which discovers the network interfaces on the
> system. The critical code is:
>
> 	#ifdef ALIAS_NAMES_PERMUTED
>                if ((s = strrchr (ifp -> ifr_name, ':'))) {
>                        *s = 0;
>                }
> 	#endif
>
> This throws away the ":1" from the interface name. ALIAS_NAMES_PERMUTED is
> defined for Solaris. I am not sure what will happen if you simply turn it
> off but it may be worth a try.
>
>    Failing that, replacing the "*s = 0;" with "continue;" will skip the
> aliased interfaces instead of shortening the name. This will fix the "lo0"
> problem but will probably not fix your problem is your "real" interface is
> also an alias.
> --

Thanks for the replies. I took your advice and tried commenting out this
section but dhcpd exits with:

 	diggins at netreg1<dhcp/bin># ./dhcpd -lf /usr/local/dhcp/etc/dhcpd.leases
 	-cf /usr/local/dhcp/etc/dhcpd.conf
 	Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.3
 	Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
 	All rights reserved.
 	For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
 	Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
 	Can't open DLPI device for bge0:1: No such file or directory

I also changed the '*s = 0' to 'continue;'. I no longer get that error but
dhcpd exits with:

 	Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.3
 	Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
 	All rights reserved.
 	For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
 	Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

 	Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

Oh well, I think this is a issue with Sun Containers. Not quite as
versatile as I first hoped. Thanks for the help anyway.

-Mike