XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

Jeff Wieland wieland at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 16 20:37:03 UTC 2006

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:51:37PM -0500, Jeff Wieland wrote:
>> I'm wondering is this relates to the release-on-shutdown option, option
>> code 2?  We implement it like:
>
> Probably if the home-network routers did this, it would make the problem
> invisible, but that's not helpful (since you can't change their
> behaviour).

You're right, of course.  If it's possible to configure the length of
the lease time to be relatively short on the home router, that might
help.  My Netgear doesn't appear to have such an option, though.
--
           Jeff Wieland            |          Purdue University
    Network Systems Administrator  |         IT-I UNIX Platforms