a Strange Deletion

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 22 18:16:39 UTC 2006

Are you using the interim ddns update style? Is there a corresponding
TXT record in the zone matching the hostname of the A record? dhcpd
uses a TXT record with a hash of the client ID as a key so that it
knows if it is allowed to delete an A record. Do you allow hosts to
update their own A records, or is only the dhcp server allowed to do
it?

If you're using the ad-hoc schems then it doesn't have this protection,
maybe you should change over?

regards,
-glenn