two questions regarding dynamic dns updates

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 23 19:26:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:44:08AM -0000, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> just have two easy questions:
>
> 1.) do I can set aliases for hosts with dynamic dns updates?
> 2.) do I can set other DNS records like some TXT information, or SSHFP?
>
> if any of the questions can be answered with yes, please point me to some
> documentation where i can read about it. thanks.

One of the provisions of DHCP DDNS update resolution/FQDN/yadda draftery,
in its current DHC WG document form, is that the forward mapping not be
added unless no record exists on that name (eg, NXDOMAIN not NXRRSET).

Of course this is documented as optional, and I can't recall which we're
currently implementing in 3.0.x.  I suspect it's NXDOMAIN (but the
code intentionally waffles).

Which means I doubt this actually works unless you make the updates for
additional records while the client is bound to the address, and remove
them afterwards (before gaining forward binding again).

Which probably means participating in client updates.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."