Server Down - How should Client Act?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon May 1 17:36:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 04:42:39AM -1000, Melody Helt wrote:
> From reading on the internet, I thought that once the lease expired, the
> client would keep broadcasting a message trying to find a host.  This
> doesn't seem to be the case in my experiment.  Should the client keep
> broadcasting?

That's never defined, to my knowledge, in a document that could describe
it as the protocol behaviour.

I think there should be more DHCP messages around the REBINDing time
(closer to expiration), so it's unusual if you don't see them.

But some clients choose to adopt link local addresses and give up on DHCP
entirely until something jars it back into operation.

There exists a way to turn this behaviour off.

Oddly enough, it requires an operating DHCP server.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."