Server Down - How should Client Act?

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Mon May 1 19:26:15 UTC 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 12:01, David W. Hankins wrote:
> But back to the point about linux, for it to work we need dhcp client
> software to learn how to do link local themselves (so they stay operating
> and keep looking for a server), if lilnk local is to be used at all.

Not necessary.   If the DHCP client uses the dbus to report results, then a
program like NetworkManager can follow those results and kick off a link
local allocation when the DHCP client reports that it can't get an address.
Later on, when the DHCP client (which is still trying to get an address)
finally gets an address, NetworkManager can release the link-local address.

Personally, my preference has always been to run the link-local and DHCP
configurations as independent processes, because I think that bringing the
link-local address up and down in response to DHCP state changes is more
likely to create instability than stability.