how to configure standalone dns server for dhcp

kalyanasundaram S s.kalyanasundaram at inbox.com
Thu May 11 06:19:08 UTC 2006

Hi all,
 i am new to this place.
 I getting confuse with all ddns mailing list msgs.

 I have a isolated setup with me.
 One server and one client.

  Server is configured with a static ip address whenever i want to connect to internet i plug in the network cable and use it. While running other services for test purpose i plugout the cable..
ex like
-------
IP:       (1.2.3.4)
hostname : mydns

  Client is configured to get ip address from dhcp.

client hostname: abcd

I want to run a DNS server and dhcp on the server and the client should get update its name on that dns..

i simply followed the instruction in dhcpd.conf but still nothing had happed (host, dig says timed out or could not conect to server)

my dhcpd.conf file
------------------

authoritative;
option domain-name "example.com";
option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
option routers 1.2.3.254;
ddns-updates on;
ddns-domainname "example.com";
ddns-rev-domainname "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa";
# allow client-updats;

 key DHCP_UPDATER {
    algorithm HMAC-MD5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT;
    secret kReoYLA82GaC0GIoAaAUVg==;
       };

       zone EXAMPLE.COM. {
         primary 1.2.3.4;
         key DHCP_UPDATER;
       }

       zone 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. {
         primary 1.2.3.4;
         key DHCP_UPDATER;
       }
ddns-update-style interim;

subnet 1.2.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 1.2.3.20 1.2.3.35;
  default-lease-time 192000;
  host test {
    hardware ethernet 00:02:47:1G:4D:E2;
    fixed-address 1.2.3.6;

my /etc/named.conf file ( removed all comments)
-------------------------

options {
	directory "/var/lib/named";
	dump-file "/var/log/named_dump.db";
	statistics-file "/var/log/named.stats";
	listen-on-v6 { any; };
	allow-query { 1.2.3.0/24; };
	notify no;
};

logging {
	channel update_debug {
		file "/var/log/update-debug.log";
		print-category yes;
		print-severity yes;
	};
	channel security_info {
		file "/var/log/named-auth.info";
		print-category yes;
		print-severity yes;
	};
	category update { update_debug; };
	category security { security_info; };
	category default { log_file; };
	category queries { log_file; };
	category xfer-in { log_file; };
	category xfer-out { log_file; };
	channel log_file { file "/var/lib/named/log/status.log" size 3M versions 0; };
};
zone "." in {
	type hint;
	file "root.hint";
};
zone "localhost" in {
	type master;
	file "localhost.zone";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type master;
	file "127.0.0.zone";
};
include "/etc/named.conf.include";
key DHCP_UPDATER {
	algorithm HMAC-MD5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT;
	secret kReoYLA82GaC0GIoAaAUVg==;
};
zone "example.org" {
	type master;
	file "master\example.com";
	allow-update { key DHCP_UPDATER; };
#        allow-update { 1.2.3.4; };
};
zone "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "master\3.2.1.in-addr.arpa";
	allow-update { key DHCP_UPDATER; };
#        allow-update { 1.2.3.4; };
};

/var/lib/named/master/ contains two files
example.com
-----------
$TTL 2d
example.com.	IN SOA		mydns.bl.alive.com.	root.mydns.bl.alive.com (
				2006051100	; serial
				3h		; refresh
				1h		; retry
				1w		; expiry
				1d )		; minimum

example.com.     IN NS  mydns.bl.alive.com.

3.2.1.in-addr.arpa
-------------------
$TTL 2d
3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.		IN SOA		3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.bl.alive.com.	root.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.bl.alive.com. (
				2006051100	; serial
				3h		; refresh
				1h		; retry
				1w		; expiry
				1d )		; minimum
3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.   IN NS  mydns.bl.alive.com

what should the resolv.conf file have?
is my configurations are correct.... how should i make it work? is my SOA records are correct?

in all the times client is getting the ip address and i am able to ping to server and viceversa also.

plz somebody help me to get it work.......

thanks in advance.....

regards,
  -"kalyan"