Relayed subnet migration

Robert Fisher rfisher at sitestar.net
Mon May 15 23:11:11 UTC 2006

I'm probably too dizzy to stop checking mailing list archives and
actually ask this, but anyway ;-)

Basically, what I want to know is that is there some method that when a
lease renewal
request is received for a range that is no longer valid in which a
release and renew
attempt can be handled?  My guess is that this deals more with the
client protocol and
individual vendor's implementations -- so this is mostly a request for
clarification and a
prayer for a minor miracle :).

I'm dealing with a cable modem setup, so all the requests I'm concerned
with are coming
through the relay agent.  I've already added the new subnet (subnetB) to
my dhcpd.conf
and reconfigured the CMTS so that both the old (subnetA) and subnetB are
on the same
physical segment, and that the CMTS now uses an IP from subnetB  for the
giaddr on
relayed requests.  I'm also using a 6 hour lease which has been in place
for several
months.

Right now, I just have separate subnet declarations like:

subnet subnetA netmask 255.255.252.0 {
    option routers A.B.C.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.252.0;
    range A.B.C.3 A.B.F.253;  # C, D, E, F from /22 mask for example
}

subnet subnetB netmask 255.255.252.0 {
    option routers L.M.N.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.252.0;
    range L.M.N.2 L.M.Q.253;
}

If I remove the range statement from subnetA, I just receive an unknown
lease message
in the log files.

Does anyone have suggestions or clarifiactions for me?   I looked to
shared-network,
but as the documentation states that there is no way to specify which
subnet to use
and as far as I can tell, the Pool statements are only valid within
subnet declarations
not from within the shared-network clause...

Thanks in advance,
Robert