conflicting command line options and dhcp.conf statements

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Tue May 16 16:48:50 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 05:07, Joe Bill wrote:
>  Isn't  the purpose of command line options precisely to override specific
>  predefined options like those belonging to a bigger set like the one
>  specified at compile time or the one called up in a configuration file ?

That's like saying isn't the purpose of argc and argv to provide filenames to
a filter so it doesn't have to read from stdin.   In one sense, perhaps yes,
but generally speaking no, there's no such convention.

Historically what happened here is that I got tired of typing those things on
the command line when debugging, and added config file statements for them so
I wouldn't have to type them on the command line anymore.   So I never
realized that I'd done the opposite of what you think is the correct
behavior.

Although I don't agree that the convention you describe exists, I do agree
that this is the most reasonable behavior.   Maybe if you send Dave Hankins a
patch, he'll put it in the next release!   :')