Problem with dhclient - Not Getting Nameservers

Robert Kennedy amtor at hotmail.com
Mon May 22 23:20:44 UTC 2006

I am running dhclient v3.0.4.  My dhclient.conf file reads as follows:

root at frugalware:~# cat /etc/dhclient.conf
# send host-name "andare.fugue.com";
# send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
# send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
# supersede domain-name "fugue.com home.vix.com";
# prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;
# require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
# timeout 60;
timeout 20;
# retry 60;
# reboot 10;
# select-timeout 5;
# initial-interval 2;
#script "/etc/dhclient-script";
script "/sbin/dhclient-script";
# media "-link0 -link1 -link2", "link0 link1";
# reject 192.33.137.209;

# alias {
#   interface "ep0";
#   fixed-address 192.5.5.213;
#   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;
# }

# lease {
#  interface "ep0";
#  fixed-address 192.33.137.200;
#  medium "link0 link1";
#  option host-name "andare.swiftmedia.com";
#  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
#  option broadcast-address 192.33.137.255;
#  option routers 192.33.137.250;
#  option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
#  renew 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  rebind 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  expire 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
# }

After I can connect to my wireless router, I run dhclient.  dhclient appears
to obtain an IP address for my computer but dhclient does not get the DNS
nameservers.

As a workaround, I can get wireless to work if I add the following to
/etc/resolv.conf

bash-3.1$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1
bash-3.1$

This is NOT an ideal solution.  If I connect to a different wireless AP or
router that is on a different domain (eg a linksys AP on 192.168.1.1), then
I must manually change the /etc/resolv.conf file.

If I operate at a hotspot like a cafe, I may not know the domain.

What am I doing wrong with dhclient?

Rob