DHCP Relay + PPP (your mail)

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed May 24 12:24:44 UTC 2006

Glenn Satchell wrote:

>What about the situation where the relay is running on a system with
>only a single interface? It needs to be able to listen and transmit on
>the one interface.

That too is no problem - it just needs to be able to open a port on
the GIAddr. It doesn't matter if the packets come in through a
different interface and are internally routed, or come in on that
ethernet interface.

In either case, the rule is quite simple, listen using the packet
filters for the raw packets from clients, open a port on the same
interface (ie on the GIAddr) to listen to packets back from the
server.

>PS to Joby, this type of network configuration should also work for
>you, and you only need one interfce in the relay box, rather than using
>it as a router.
>
>ppp
>linux
>router
>  |_dhcrelay
>client(s)

Though I think the idea was to avoid having to have the extra box.
Obviously, if there was a server on that network then it could double
up as a relay without any extra cost.

Simon