Requests on Second NIC

Rimike Y Liverpool ryliverp at us.ibm.com
Tue May 30 13:38:31 UTC 2006

I am only using en1 on subnet 192.168.0.x but I can see requests from the
subnet that en0 is on, a.b.c.x
So I see :
May 30 08:27:32 HOSTNAME dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for a.b.c.x (a.b.d.y) from
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff via en1: wrong network.

For what I  have right now, the clients that are on the 192.168.0 network
do not move around.

Thanks

.Yema Liverpool
AIX  Support Team-Rochester, MN
Integrated Technology Delivery, Server Operations
Dept LVJG, Bldg 020-3 A224
Phone:  507-253-5817
ryliverp at us.ibm.com

Simon Hobson <dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk>
Sent by: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org
05/25/2006 05:24 PM
Please respond to
dhcp-users at isc.org

dhcp-users at isc.org
cc

Subject
Re: Requests on Second NIC

Rimike Y Liverpool wrote:

>When I look at the logs, I see the requests from the other network.
>Granted, they get NACKs with a message saying "wrong network" but I was
>wondering if it would be possible not to even get those.

 From the wrong subnet, or from the wrong physical network ?

For example, assuming you are only using eth1 and a.b.c.x is the
subnet on eth0 ...

If you see "blah DHCPREQUEST for a.b.c.123 from aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
(xyz) via eth0"
then there is a problem and you are getting packets from the wrong
physical network

However, if you see "blah DHCPREQUEST for a.b.c.123 from
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (xyz) via eth1"
then you need to figure out why requests are coming in for the wrong
subnet on the right interface.

Do you have clients that move around ? If a client moves from one
network to the other you would expect to see the requests with wrong
network as the client attempts to renew it's previous lease.

Simon