understanding logmessage

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Mon Nov 13 08:33:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm running ISC-DHCPD 3.0.3 with failover and have trouble to understand the logmessages.

First there is one DHCP-Request from a client for a IP-address. One dhcp-server write the Request and his DHCPACK in his log, the other server only a debugmessage with the Request and "lease owned by peer".

Exact as expected.

Now comes a Request from the same subnet for another IP-adress and now both(!) dhcp-server write a DHCPACK in their logfile. No one seems to believe that the lease is owned by peer.
Maybe I misunderstood the concept of failover, but shouldn't only one of them send a DHCPACK for a specific lease out of a failover-subnet?

Tom.