dhcpd-relay

Jim Pazarena paz at qcislands.net
Mon Nov 13 17:57:39 UTC 2006

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Jim Pazarena wrote:
>
>> I just switched my DHCP service from a dual /24 multi-homed circuit,
>> to a single eth with five /24's coming to me for DHCP assignments.
>
> Can you post your dhcpd config, the output from ifconfig, and confirm
> that each subnet is coming to your server via a relay agent ?

putting together the package you requested, I discovered a "shared-network"
statement wrapping those 2 /24 networks. I had previously missed this.
I removed it, all is well.
And I thank you because just in the process of thinking thru other people's
questions I often resolve my own issue.

Here is one I cannot figure out: No one can "see" my server's offer unless
I broadcast it rather than unicast it. What possible reasons could there be
for an over-all need to broadcast? I have read in the isc docs that some
clients do not have the correct bits set for a unicast response, but in my
case I have a spread of Windows/Mac & linux clients. Any idea?

--
Jim Pazarena                    work:(250)559-4444 ext 0
Box 550                         fax:559-8404
Queen Charlotte  BC  V0T 1S0    mailto:Jim.Pazarena at qcislands.net