Startup sequence

Tom Greaser tgreaser at hsc.wvu.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:25:32 UTC 2006

find  the run level  your system starts in  guessing 3

mv /etc/rc3.d/S??dhpd to have a number after your S??network statement

my rh4 box
S10network     S65dhcpd

>>> "Chris Miller" <Chris at InfoGreat.com> 11/15/06 10:33 AM >>>
Content- Type: text/plain;
	charset="us- ascii"
Content- Transfer- Encoding: 7bit
Hi Folks,

I'm afraid something is out of whack here.

On my RedHat Fedora Core 6 server, dhcpd (version:isc- dhcpd- V3.0.4-
RedHat)
starts before "ifup eth0" happens.  I didn't create this sequence, so I
have
reason to believe it is correct.  But it is mysterious, nonetheless,
because
dhcpd fails immediately with the message: "Not configured to listen on
any
interfaces!".

If I try to circumvent this with "dhcpd eth0" I get "No subnet
declaration
for eth0 (0.0.0.0)." and again I am told: "Not configured to listen on
any
interfaces!".

In spite of the instructions, there doesn't seem to be an acceptable
way to
add a subnet for 0.0.0.0

It is not clear to me how I tell dhcpd to start up, be patient and wait
for
a broadcast interface to appear.

Does anybody have any advice?

Chris
 <http://www.tclc.org/> (Hacker at Heart)	 Fill what's empty,
empty
what's full and scratch where it itches ...
Life is a journey, not a destination.